Whether or not your are planning to sell this spring, consider boosting the curb appeal of your home! Your neighbors will be happy (maybe even jealous), your guests will be impressed, but most of all you will fell like a king pulling up to your very well groomed castle! Here are some tips for a LUSH and HEALTHY lawn:
1. Find out the acid/alkaline levels of your soil with a testing kit from the hardware store before you buy fertilizer and seed. The test will help you determine the right products to help your lawn and garden grow… and it will tell you what color hydrangeas you can expect!
2. Grass and soil can get compacted during the winter, making it difficult for oxygen and nutrients to reach root systems. Aerating, or poking holes in the lawn, helps. You can hire a lawn service to do this, buy a rolling tool, or invite your kid’s baseball team to run around in their cleats!
3. Spring is prime time for seeding sparse areas of your lawn! Just don’t forget to keep those areas well-watered if you want the seed to grow.
4. You have probably noticed weeds and crabgrass popping up all over the place! Now is the time to start applying a natural herbicide to prevent weeds from sprouting. Ask the folks at the hardware store to help you find one that won’t kill any of the surrounding plants.
5. You instinct may be to mow the lawn as short as possible to avoid mowing again soon. DO NOT DO THIS! NC is famous for summer droughts, and you could end up killing your grass! Set your mower to the tallest setting and cut only about the top third of the grass. Taller blades promote healthier root systems and help shade the ground soil, preventing it from drying out.